Richard Tan Kheng Swee is a Partner in the Corporate Practice Group of RHTLaw Taylor Wessing LLP.
Richard is experienced in corporate, commercial and equity matters in Singapore and in Australia. He has advised and represented both listed and private companies as well as financial institutions in a wide range of commercial transactions such as mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, other fund raising exercises. Further, he routinely assists both listed and private companies with regards to corporate advisory and compliance matters.
- Advised Hartawan Holdings Limited, which was listed on the SGX Catalist, on its very substantial acquisition of Wilton Resources Holdings Pte. Ltd., which is engaged in gold exploration and mining in Indonesia.
- Advised Hong Leong Finance Limited, the Sponsors and Issue Manager of UnUsUal Limited as counsel for the Issue Manager and Sponsor in the listing of UnUsUal Limited on SGX Catalist.
- Advised Hong Leong Finance Limited, the Sponsors and Issue Manager of AGV Holdings Limited as counsel for the Issue Manager and Sponsor in the listing of AGV Holdings Limited on SGX Catalist.
- Advised both IPS Securex Holdings Limited and Sysma Holdings Limited as the solicitors for their initial public offering on SGX Catalist.
- Advised Swanmet Engineering Pte Ltd a metal foundry company with operations in Malaysia and Singapore in its corporate restructure and its successful merger with Norcast S.a.r.l, the parent company of Norcast Wear Solutions in Canada (the world’s second largest producer of mill liners and one of the world’s largest suppliers of mill liners, crushers and wear components to the mining industry).
- Advised Eastern Holdings Limited in relation to the divestment of the exhibition business and assets of its subsidiary Eastern Directories Pte Ltd (relating to the “IT Show”, “COMEX”, “Food & Beverage Fair” and “World Food Fair” exhibitions) to Sphere Exhibits Pte Ltd (a subsidiary of the Singapore Press Holdings Limited) for a total consideration of $43,500,000
- Advised China Powerplus Limited on the privatisation of the assets of its Australian Stock Exchange listed associate, China Steel Australia Limited
- Advised both Silverlake Axis Ltd and Top Global Limited on the transfer of their listing status from the SGX Catalist to the SGX Main Board
- Advised Swing Media Technology Group Limited in their renounceable underwritten rights issues of up to 228,020,250 new ordinary shares
- Advised China Print Power Group Limited on its dual primary listing on The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited
- Advised The St James Pte. Ltd. and the injection of its entertainment assets into the then SESDAQ listed JK Technology Group Limited pursuant to a reverse take over exercise, which was the first reverse take over exercise on the SGX Catalist
- Advised UOB, the Issuer Manager, Sponsors and Placement Agents of PS Group Holdings Ltd. as counsel for Issuer Manager, Sponsors and Placement Agents in the listing of PS Group Holdings Ltd. on SGX Catalist
- Advised Hong Leong Finance Limited, the Sponsors and Issue Manager of Talkmed Group Limited as counsel for the Issue Manager and Sponsor in the listing of Talkmed Group Limited on SGX Catalist
- Advised on the liquidation of Wilmar International Holdings Limited and Wilmar Holdings Pte Ltd, who were the substantial shareholders of Wilmar International Limited
- Bachelors of Science (Hons) – University of Melbourne, Australia
- Bachelors of Law (Hons) – National University of Singapore
- Law Society of Singapore, Member.
- Inquiry Committee Member, Law Society of Singapore (2011 – to date).
- Law Institute of Victoria, Member.
- Law Society of New South Wales, Member.
“I knew Richard when my family company and a Canadian company was working on the merger of the 2 companies. The owner of the Canadian company was a Private Equity company. The PE company was of course very familiar with international mergers and so was their legal team, which is also one of the biggest in Singapore in this area. On the other hand, I had no prior experience in such matters.
When the legal documents were being discussed and negotiated, the process was moving very quickly from my view point. It was very good that Richard was there at the time to explain the legal issues in a commercial and non-legal manner. He was able to do that because he was very knowledgeable and had a lot of relevant experience. He was also steady and calm, an important strength when dealing with a relatively much stronger legal team from the other party. They can also be rather pushy at times. Richard had a very good system to retrieve all the relevant documents, facts and information. He was most patient and helpful. At all times I felt that he had my company’s interest at heart.
We concluded our merger agreements in good time and the completed documents included issues we put forward. We felt it was a good agreement. Richard was of course instrumental in this matter and I fully appreciated his support. I would certainly recommend Richard to my friends and contacts, without hesitation.” – Lim Kin Guan, 2019
“I have worked with Richard in several corporate financing matters and found him to be knowledgeable and professional in the way he handles the matter. I will recommend him to my other friends for legal services.” – Kenneth Tan, 2018 (Eastern Trade Media)
“I worked with him on a project relating to a circular to dispose the asset to the major shareholder, IPT circular. He took over the assignment and was able to pick up from where it was left off quickly without any delays to the overall project. He was able to make suggestions to the drafting of the circular to ensure that clearance with the sponsor was easy.
I had reservations when he took over the job looking young then, but his response and handling of the job definitely exceeded my expectations. He has the ability to prompt the client of any possible areas of contention which would be addressed at early stage rather than making rectification at the later stage.
He also has the ability to think out of the box from the client’s perspective and make suggestions to the problem resolutions.
I would definitely recommend him to friends, contacts looking for good advice for corporate actions. I have remained in contact with him after the job and followed him to the firms which he subsequently joined and set up. I am glad that he is back in action at RHT and I am looking forward to working with him again in the near future.” – Soh Yeow Hwa, 2019 (Hu An Cable Limited)
LL.B (Singapore); Advocate & Solicitor (Singapore); Barrister & Solicitor (Victoria, Australia); Solicitor (New South Wales, Australia); Solicitor, High Court Australia.
Key Areas of Expertise:
Corporate, Capital Markets, Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate Restructuring, Corporate Advisory
Direct:+65 6381 6863
Fax :+65 6381 6869