Peter has represented clients in arbitral, tribunal and court proceedings in Shipping and Commercial law cases in Singapore, England and British Columbia/Canada. He appeared in the Federal Courts of Canada, Supreme Courts of British Columbia, High Courts of Singapore and assisted London Silks in the Commercial Courts and the Privy Council in London.
He was a former pupil of Lord Justice Anthony Evans at then 4 Essex Court, Middle Temple, England. For many years, he acted for major protection and indemnity clubs and was the Legal Correspondent for Japan P & I and China P & I, ship-owners, shipyards and other marine-related industries.
Currently, he is a visiting professor at 9 Chinese universities, including China University of Political Science & Law, Xiamen University, Renmin University and Wuhan University. He is also a permanent Visiting Professor at China’s two premier maritime universities: Dalian Maritime University and Shanghai Maritime University. In 2017, he lectured Ethical Issues in Sports law at Renmin University and China University of Political Science and Law in Beijing.
In 2008, he was appointed an adjunct professor at the Dalian Maritime University and the National University of Singapore. He was instrumental in introducing International Shipping Law at both universities. From 2008 to 2012, he taught one of the modules leading to the LLM double degrees from New York University and National University of Singapore.
Peter acted for offeror and target entities in transnational business and asset acquisitions in Singapore, India, China and Canada. He also acted for minority shareholders in derivative actions in both Singapore and Canada. He was counsel in securities regulatory tribunals in both Singapore and Canada.
His publications include the following:
- Author, Major Issues in Shipping Law (with PRC and English Comparative Notes) (1st Edition) (Published by Sweet & Maxwell/Thomson Reuters)
- Author, Major Issues in Company Law (with PRC and English Comparative Notes) (1st to 4th Editions) (Published by Sweet & Maxwell/Thomson Reuters)
- Co-editor of Mergers and Acquisitions in China (1st and 2nd Editions) (Published by Sweet & Maxwell/Thomson Reuters)
- Author, Marine Insurance & the New Institute Cargo Clauses (Published by Longman’s in London)
- Author, Law of Partnership in Singapore and Malaysia (Published by Professional Publications in Singapore)
- Editor, Carriage of Goods by Sea (Published by Butterworth in London)
- Author of national chapter, Tetley’s International Conflict of Law, Common, Civil & Maritime
Lord Bingham, then Senior Law Lord said of Peter’s latest publication Major Issues in Company Law (with PRC and English Comparative Notes) on 10.3.2010:
An understanding of the rules applicable in another country may be very important where two countries such as the People’s Republic of China and the United Kingdom are important trading partners and are – particularly in the case of China of major economic strength. Here lies the value of this book, explaining and comparing the rules applicable in our two countries in a structured and informative way.