Nizam is a Partner of RHTLaw Taylor Wessing. He also spearheads and is a Co-Founder of RHT Compliance Solutions, a dedicated financial services compliance consultancy/solutions provider. He has 25 years of experience and expertise in financial services regulatory compliance and litigation.
He was Executive Director and Head of Compliance for Southeast Asia in Morgan Stanley Singapore. Nizam was also formerly Senior Vice President and Head of Compliance for Southeast Asia at Lehman Brothers Singapore, Executive Director (Legal and Compliance) in Nomura Singapore and Senior Legal Counsel of Citigroup (Corporate and Investment Bank). Nizam’s area of compliance coverage included markets, investment banking, corporate banking, private banking and asset management. Nizam’s product coverage included fixed income, equities, commodities, currency, rates, derivatives, futures, structured deposits.
Nizam spent six years as a regulator at the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS), where he was Deputy Director and Head of the Market Conduct Policy Division. There, Nizam worked on various policy reviews relating to the capital markets, including various policy reviews leading to the enactment of the Securities and Futures Act, the Financial Advisers Act, Trust Companies Act and the Business Trust Act. Nizam also conducted a review on the application of competition law on financial services. Nizam also worked with other international financial services regulators on a variety of cross-border regulatory projects.
The policy reviews that Nizam oversaw at MAS included: (1) revamp of regulatory framework on markets/recognized market operators, (2) dual currency investments, (3) credit card solicitation rules, (4) disclosure requirements for investment products, (5) rationalisation of wholesale/retail investors, (6) extra-territorial application, (7) regulation of traded life/endowment policies, (8) civil penalty regime for market misconduct, (9) review of insider trading, (10) licensing and business conduct issues, (11) policies behind regulation capital markets intermediaries, (12) implementation of recommendations of Corporate Law and Regulatory Framework Committee (CLRFC).
At the MAS, Nizam also worked on policy issues relating to corporate governance issues. Issues include: (1) review of corporate governance code, (2) quarterly reporting, (3) disclosure of operating and financial reports by listed companies and (4) drafting of the Code of Corporate Governance for listed companies.
Having graduated from the NUS Law School in 1991 on a Public Service Commission Local Merit Scholarship, Nizam started his legal career as Deputy Public Prosecutor/State Counsel at the Commercial Affairs Department, where he prosecuted high-profile corporate and market misconduct cases including insider trading, market rigging and fraud.
- “We would like to express our sincere gratitude for Nizam’s generous support at our event. The workshop on bitcoin was the most attended workshop out of the three that happened parallel. We have received very positive feedback clients on the interesting panel. The great applause from the audience is not only to our Firm but also to Nizam. We are very impressed and grateful to his contribution, especially how passionate and savvy he is to the topic.” – Testimonial by a leading international wealth management company
- “When we decided to run an ICO we looked at a few law firms in Singapore and in the end we chose RHTLaw Taylor Wessing due to their reputation and knowledge of the local regulation. RHTLaw Taylor Wessing not only helped us get all the legal requirements in place to run a successful ICO but even used their Taylor Wessing network to refer a law firm in Europe that also worked with us.” – Aptoide, a Portugese-based app-store
LL.B (Hons) (Singapore)
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing’s Head of Financial Services, Nizam Ismail, featured in Taiwanese publications, ChinaTimes.com and Liberty Times Net, on his participation as keynote speaker at the Taiwan Venture Capital Forum 2018
- Head of Financial Services Practice, Nizam Ismail, was featured in finnews.asia article titled “Swiss vs Singapore in Crypto Race”.
- Head of Financial Services Practice, Nizam Ismail, explains why Singapore’s regulatory clarity has helped position Singapore as a favourable jurisdiction for ICOs
- Head of Financial Services Nizam Ismail invited as panellist and interviewed by CNBC on how regulation on cryptocurrencies in countries like Singapore is focused first on protecting small investors at the UBS Wealth Insights Seminar
- Head of Financial Services Nizam Ismail comments on the US$55 million international blue-chip conglomerate bribery scandal in The Straits Times article
- Head of Financial Services Nizam Ismail shares with Channel NewsAsia his views on the Monetary Authority of Singapore’s warning to bitcoin investors to act with ‘extreme caution’
- Head of Financial Services Nizam Ismail shares with Channel NewsAsia his views on Singapore’s cashless ambition and the new payment services bill
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Head of Financial Services Nizam Ismail featured in DealStreetAsia article “Singapore emerges as third largest global ICO hub”
- Head of Financial Services Nizam Ismail shares with Channel NewsAsia his views on the launch of the Visa Monaco Crypto Card in Singapore
- Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail comments that there would be legal challenges for Bank Negara to assert any enforcement action against entities outside of Malaysia in a Channel NewsAsia article
- Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail shares with Asialaw in an article titled “Asia wades through cryptocurrency regulatory puzzle” on how a robust compliance framework is necessary to mitigate against risks for initial coin offerings creators
- Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail advises that if there is no prospectus, the offer of initial coin offerings and digital tokens may be illegal and could give rise to a criminal offence, as quoted in The Straits Times
- Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail shares with The Straits Times his take on initial coin offerings (ICOs) becoming a popular method to fund raise
- Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail shares his views on the strong signals sent out by MAS on anti-money laundering controls in an interview with Channel NewsAsia
- Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail shares with Channel NewsAsia how MAS’ recent proposal to support growth of robo-advisory firms are facilitating the entry of more fin-tech firms
- Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail quoted in Reuters article titled “Singapore fines Credit Suisse, UOB over 1MDB-linked dealings, wraps up review”
- Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail interviewed by Channel NewsAsia on the financial penalties imposed by MAS on Credit Suisse and UOB for 1MDB-related transactions
- Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail quoted in The Edge article titled “1MDB Case: Will Malaysia, Abu Dhabi settlement deter Singapore” on how offences committed within Singapore will be assessed under Singapore laws
- Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail featured in The Sunday Times on the topic of binary option scams
- “Prohibition Orders imposed by MAS would protect consumers from dealing with persons that fall short of the authority’s expectations”, shares Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail with TODAY
- Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail discusses Singapore’s market misconduct concerns and anti-money laundering efforts in 2017 with Thomson Reuters
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail commented that banks are likely to adopt the MAS know-your-customer utility in an Thomson Reuters article
- Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail quoted in a Thomson Reuters article on the showcase of technology at a FinTech festival
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail featured in Thomson Reuters
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail and Deputy Head of Banking & Finance Ow Kim Kit featured in Singapore Business Review
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail featured in Channel NewsAsia and Channel 5 News
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail featured in Reuters
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail featured in Channel NewsAsia
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Head of Regulatory Practice Nizam Ismail quoted in Bloomberg and The Independent (UK)
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Partner Nizam Ismail authored an article on Fintech for the International Financial Law Review
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Partner Nizam Ismail featured in Channel NewsAsia
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Partner Nizam Ismail featured in Bloomberg, Channel NewsAsia and TODAY
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Partner Nizam Ismail quoted in the Straits Times
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Partner Nizam Ismail featured in Berita Harian
- RHTLaw Taylor Wessing Managing Partner Tan Chong Huat and Partner Nizam Ismail have successfully co-authored an opinion piece, which was published in The Business Times