Prior to that, he practiced general litigation and has had extensive experience advising clients and arguing cases before the Strata Titles Board, the State Courts, the High Court and assisting in matters before the Court of Appeal. He has also appeared before the Singapore International Commercial Court, a division of the Singapore High Court and part of the Supreme Court of Singapore designed to deal with transnational commercial disputes. His practice areas included contract claims, breach of fiduciary duty, the provisional liquidation and winding up of companies, trust and contentious family law matters.
The reported legal cases that Vernon has been involved in include:
- Strike Engineering Pte Ltd v Zenecon Pte Ltd and Another
 SGHC 184
- Ong Cher Keong v Goh Chin Soon Ricky
 2 SLR 94;  SGHC 21
Vernon also advises clients on employment law issues. The employment matters that he has done to date include:
- Advising a German MNC in Singapore on their draft employment handbook, and also on how to deal with a local trade union in respect of the pending expiry of the collective agreement;
- Advising a company on their obligations under the Industrial Relations Act (Cap.136) and the Employment Act (Cap. 91) upon their takeover of a company with an existing collective agreement with a local trade union;
- General advice to clients on key employment terms, garden leave and restraint of trade clauses;
- Drafting and reviewing employment agreements for rank and file staff, executives, and settlement agreements for departing senior executives;
- Guiding a local not-for-profit enterprise in their dealings with the Ministry of Manpower in respect of a complaint filed by a former employee under the provisions of the Retirement and Re-employment Act (Cap. 274A).
- Advising a leading multi-national educational institution on their employment documentation and protocols, and drafting and reviewing the entire documentation from the offer of employment through to the termination of the employment relationship.