As a Certified Information Privacy Technologist accredited by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) and having a keen interest in ICT developments, Jack believes in seeking customised legal solutions that take into account the challenges in design, deployment and auditing of IT products and services, while balancing the role that technology companies increasingly fill as arbiters of trust in today’s data-driven global economy.
He assists various organisations in retail, financial services, IT, healthcare, critical infrastructure and statutory bodies in the proper management of confidentiality, availability and integrity of their information assets, computer systems and communication networks. He also believes in finding a balance for business needs to use personal data and the need to ensure security and privacy through sound policies and practices in compliance with the law to foster accountability and trust.
Notable technology and telecommunications matters handled include:-
- Assisting one of Southeast Asia’s largest banks on the legal aspects of various technology and operations procurement and outsourcing relating to data centre services, managed hosting services, co-location services and software implementation.
- Advising a leading Swiss solutions provider for banking software, IT outsourcing and business process outsourcing on IT contracts.
- Advising a Japanese multinational enterprise solutions provider on legal and regulatory issues for provision of cloud computing and related services.
- Advising international telecommunication companies and mobile service providers on licensing requirements, content regulation, equipment registration and regulatory compliance for deployment of products and services in Singapore.
Notable data protection and cyber security matters handled include:-
- Advising an international NGO for environmental conservation on data processing, international data transfers, and use of mobile applications for fundraising communications.
- Advising a leading German technology manufacturer on the group-wide implementation of a global IT security tool for workplace and cyber threat monitoring and international transfers of employee personal data.
- Advising the Singapore subsidiary of an online social networking service listed on NYSE on specific obligations in the protection of personal data.
- Advising a US-based global connectivity solution provider and data centre operator on their collaboration agreement with a Singapore telecommunications operator for compliance with data protection requirements.
Notable IP matters handled include:-
- Represented the defendants before the High Court and Court of Appeal in The Singapore Professional Golfers’ Association v. Chen Eng Waye and others, which was instrumental for determining the relevant segments of the public in the assessment of confusion to establish the tort of passing off.
- Represented a prominent retail establishment in resolving a dispute with a French luxury brand pertaining to allegations of trade mark infringement before the High Court.
- Represented a German manufacturer of precision equipment in resolving a dispute with a Japanese company over a patented technology.
- Advised a Singapore company on the acquisition of a master franchise for a well-known Korean coffeehouse chain.
In 2016, he was recognised by Singapore Business Review as one of Singapore’s most influential lawyers aged 40 and under.
He is a contributing author to Practical Guidance Singapore – Commercial Law published by LexisNexis, for the topics on “Privacy and Cloud Computing” and “Data Protection and Information Security” in the Internet & E-Commerce Chapter and Record Retention Chapter respectively.
As Co-Chair of the Singapore Chapter of IAPP KnowledgeNet, he volunteers his time to facilitate knowledge-sharing and networking for professionals in privacy. He also volunteers as a member of the Cybersecurity & Forensics Committee of the Singapore Law Society that was constituted to advise on, and raise the awareness of, information security management, data protection, cybercrime and digital forensic investigations.
Prior to practising law, Jack was previously a legal editor in a leading publisher for accounting, legal and business professionals. He also holds a business degree from Nanyang Business School.