Conrad has more than 25 years of experience in a wide range of litigation and dispute resolution matters. He heads the Firm’s Real Estate & Infrastructure Industry Group and has been appointed as an Accredited Specialist in Building and Construction Law by the Singapore Academy of Law. He has successfully represented clients before the Singapore Court of Appeal, High Court and in arbitration proceedings.
Conrad was selected by Who’s Who Legal 2007/08, the Official Research Partner of the International Bar Association, as one of Singapore’s leading lawyers under the management, labour & employment segment. He has been and is a member of the Appeal Board of the Commission for Foreign Manpower since February 2013. Conrad has been a CFA Charterholder since 2008. Conrad actively volunteers in the social service sector.
Below are some of the matters that Conrad has handled:
- Representing contractors in the High Court and arbitration in relation to disputes under the standard forms of the Singapore Institute of Architects, Public Service Sector Conditions of Contract, REDAS Design & Build and FIDIC, and other forms used by South Korean Construction and Engineering Companies. Issues relate to construction and design failures, delays, extension of time and liquidated damages, claims for disruption and prolongation costs, variation orders, re-measurements, defective work, wrongful termination and remedies. Engagement under the Security of Payment Act (SOPA) include advising on payment claims and responses, representation in adjudication proceedings, enforcement, and applications for setting aside of adjudication determinations. A detailed list is available on request.
- Represented a listed company in relation to an oil and gas investment dispute in Indonesia, including whether there was a breach of warranty as to the potential quantities of gas reserves in the concession.
- Represented a US S&P 500 company in relation to a mechanical engineering dispute as to the cause of failure of an engine.
- Advised and represented property developer in relation to dispute relating to title and right of easement over land arising after amalgamation of land plots for the purpose of redevelopment.
- Represented corporate entities and high net worth individuals in disputes with financial advisors and private banks in relation to advice and sale of complex OTC structured products.
- Represented a public listed company in a contentious disposal of substantially the whole undertaking of the company.
- Represented a major shareholder and Chief Executive Officer of an insolvent public listed company in Singapore in a contentious and complex reorganization of a group of companies in the region.
- Successfully argued an appeal in the Singapore Court of Appeal on the question whether an assignment of an inter-company debt to a creditor as payment while insolvent amounted to an unfair preference and a breach of director duties. Reported in  4 SLR 792.
- Represented creditors of insolvent companies in schemes of arrangement and judicial management. Represented liquidators in the winding up of insolvent companies, including investigations into breaches of fiduciary duties of directors, unfair preferences and undervalue transactions.
- Represented US MNC in negotiating and securing a favourable settlement in Sri Lanka with a government-linked company there that sought to renege on a power generation contract.
- Represented one of (then) Big 5 accountancy practices in successfully defending 6 of its newly recruited partners against a suit for breach of contract of employment/partnership, unlawful interference with contracts of staff and clients, and breach of confidence when they left another Big 5 practice.
- Successfully represented clients in an arbitration against the Government of Singapore in a $5 million claim relating to a tender dispute between a cooked food supplier and the Singapore Armed Forces.
- Defended lawyers under the Singapore Law Society professional indemnity scheme.
- Acted for QBE to defend one of the top 4 largest property consultancy companies under a professional indemnity policy for a claim of negligent valuation and disposal of a bloc of commercial properties.
- Acted for QBE to defend an outdoor adventure consultant against a claim for substantial damages for personal injury as a result of negligent advice in relation to the supply of equipment which failed.
As a volunteer, Conrad was the President of MINDS (2009 – 2013) and Supervisor, MINDS Special Needs Schools (2007 – 2013), the Subcommittee Chairman and Main Steering Committee member of the MSF Enabling Masterplan 2012-2016, and a founding director of the Special Needs Trust Company (SNTC) (2008 – 2017). He is presently the founding member of SNTC and a member of the School Advisory Committee of Unity Primary School.
Acc. Spec. (Building & Construction), SAL
Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore
Key Areas of Expertise:
Arbitration, Banking & Finance, Bankruptcy and Insolvency, Construction and Civil Engineering, Company and Partnerships, Commercial Transactions (international/domestic), Employment and Labour, Professional Negligence, Trust and Estates
Direct: +65 6381 6932
Fax : +65 6381 6869