Prior to practising law, he worked in the Finance Department of Singapore Airlines and later as the General Manager of the Singapore operations of one of the largest travel companies in the world at that time.
He began his professional practice as a litigator in 1978 handling mainly company, banking, contract, construction and engineering disputes. He broadened his experience in construction and engineering work by working for an English magic circle firm in London and Hong Kong.
Presently, Balachandran main areas of work are in litigation and arbitration, cross-border transactions, infocomm technology transactions and infrastructure projects including commercial developments, land reclamation and marine works and train systems. Most of his work has represented foreign companies in contract negotiations, preparing contracts advisory work on contracts and disputes and arbitrations involving construction and engineering projects in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, India, Thailand and Taiwan.
He also provides advisory services to foreign clients based in Singapore with operations Singapore, Southeast Asian countries, China, Taiwan, Japan and Australia.
Balachandran also holds the following appointments:
- Notary Public, Supreme Court of Singapore
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK
- Arbitrator, Law Society of Singapore, Arbitration Scheme
- Adjudicator, FIDReC (Financial Industry Disputes Resolution Centre)
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Hon. Legal Advisor, Singapore infocomm Technology Federation
- Past President, Rotary Club of Singapore